This one is for the ladies. We are told by beauty experts and as beauty, experts to wash our faces every night to wipe off all the make-up and pollutants of the day, and then again in the morning to wash off the traces of dirt from our pillow and such.
I’m the first one to admit that I’m lazy when it comes to this routine. I’ve gone to bed with my make-up still intact many more times than not. The only time my face has gotten washed in the morning was if I was taking a shower that morning and I’d wash it while in there. I know, I know. SUPER lazy. I should be ashamed.
As I’ve gotten older, however, as well as taking college courses in Personal Beauty and Advanced Personal Beauty and learning so much more about skincare, I am learning to retrain myself in my laziness and take better care of my skin. It is the largest organ of our body of course. Everything we put on it and expose it to takes 26 seconds to enter our bloodstream which then goes to the other organs in our body. I won’t go into the layers and all of the scientific stuff here, but just say that it is very important that we take good care of our skin. It is the first thing that others see about us and effects us in our feeling good about our selves.
Outside of knowing its good to wash and keep our skin moisturized it’s very important the products we use. Colby College’s Clean Makeup website reports that parabens can mimic estrogen and disrupt the body’s hormone system. In 2004, a study by the University of Reading in the United Kingdom found concentrations of parabens, particularly methylparaben, in human breast tumors. This is just one among several ingredients that you should try to avoid. Here is a nice little chart.
I won’t go into the reasons behind each, but there have been studies to discourage their use – at least as much as possible. I will let you do your own research. I will say in laymen’s terms that when you put synthetics on your body which is natural, it doesn’t process them well. It stands to reason. So, I encourage you to look to more natural products since it’s been said that especially women put on an average of around 168 chemicals on their skin daily. These are found in products many uses on the daily from shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, lotions, perfumes, and other products we lather on our face and bodies. Do we have to be perfect about it? Well, in a perfect world we would be and use only all natural. For most of us who aren’t perfect, however, it may not be 100%. I do wear cologne on the occasion, but there are natural body sprays I love and wear more.
Having said this I will tell you that I have tried MANY different brands of products. I like ones that WORK. I do realize that more natural products can seem to cost more money. I say seem because when you waste so much money on products that aren’t natural and don’t work and end up trying something else you are wasting far more money and end up with cabinets, shelves, and counters full of wasted money. So I am going to let you know some products that do work and I feel are worth it.
- Purely. This company is completely transparent. They have short ingredient lists and things that most people know what it is. No nasty ingredients. Essential oils. Face, body, toothpaste, deodorant, cleaning goods. www.bepure.ly/mmarie
- Perfectly Posh. Their line is cute and funky. Made in the USA products. No nasties. Paraben free. This is the only company I have ever used all of the products to the very last drop. No waste. I am in love with Posh and they feel amazing and REALLY WORK!!! I love their body butter. Brazillian Bombshell is my fave scent. mmarie.po.sh. This company gives back and I’ve been a founding consultant for 5 years now because of my love of the products and their quality. Great price points for all natural products as well.
- NuSkin. A company that has been around for 34 years. Their Epoch line I really like. The Ava Puhi Moni Shampoo and light conditioner. You don’t need to buy shampoo and conditioner separate. I’m all for one easy step. Saves time in the shower. They have lots of other great products for face and body as well as nutritional products that help with the aging process from not only the outside but the inside. Check some of my fave products out here. natureme.mynuskin.com. Lots more on the NuSkin site. My Affiliate number is US01371999. I became an affiliate because these products are great and being one saves me money. If you try and love the products, you might think about becoming an affiliate to save on them as well. I didn’t become one to really make money, and don’t really promote, but you can make some if you really want to work it as a business. This company gives back as well.
- Neals Yard Remedies. They are an organic company that has some really good standards. Their Frankenscence line is my fave of theirs. I love their ethics about the earth. I am not a consultant though I was at one time before finding Posh.
- Burts Bees – There jasmine face cream is the bomb. So simple and smells so good. I am not affiliated with them either but do love so many of their products.
For face and hair, these are three of my fave companies. Again, I’ve tried MANY. All your typical store bought that contains many of those nasty ingredients. Many organic brands from various companies. These four have been my top faves for all my skin and hair needs. No nasties. Nourishing ingredients. And most important THEY WORK!!! =)